The Destination for Literary Research
Gale Literature Resource Center is Gale’s most current, comprehensive, and reliable online literature resource, offering the broadest and most representative range of authors and their works, including a deep collection of full-text critical and literary analysis for literary studies. The resource provides researchers with unbounding literary resources to support their literary responses, literary analysis, and thesis statements through a diversity of scholars and critics that ensure all views and interpretations are represented.
Researchers can find up-to-date analysis, biographical information, overviews, full-text literary criticism, and reviews on more than 130,000 writers in all disciplines, from all time periods, and from around the world. Gale Literature Resource Center brings together materials that support interdisciplinary approaches, information literacy, and the development of critical thinking skills. Researchers with a literature, history, arts, gender studies, or cultural studies focus can use this resource to analyze authors and works throughout time.
As the online destination for literature criticism, author biographies, reviews, primary literary texts, and more, users will find examples for how to structure their own literary analysis. Students and researchers will gain instant access to:
- More than 160,000 complete entries from two award-winning series—Contemporary Authors and Dictionary of Literary Biography—for an in-depth bibliography on authors’ lives and works
- Over 85,000 selected full-text critical essays and reviews from Contemporary Literary Criticism, Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism, Nineteenth-Century Literature Criticism as well as Drama Criticism, Poetry Criticism, Shakespearean Criticism, Short Story Criticism, Children’s Literature Review, Literature Criticism from 1400 to1800, Classical and Medieval Literature Criticism, and much more
- More than 1,100,000 full-text articles, critical essays, and reviews from over 450 scholarly journals and literary magazines
- Daily content updates to provide researchers with the most current critical approaches and interpretation of authors and works, book reviews, and more
- Engaging writings, essays, analyses, theses, and more
- Coverage of a diverse range of writers with a broad array of disciplines and time periods from around the world
- Primary works in a variety of genres from science fiction writers, essayists, poets, and others to support close reading and gathering textual evidence and provide ample opportunity for reader-response activities
- Materials that support interdisciplinary approaches to the humanities, information literacy, and the development of critical thinking skills for the reader
- Current and comprehensive online literature criticism, biographical information, reviews, and reference to promote deeper literary understanding
- Literary criticism, biographies, topic and work overviews, news, primary sources, literary works, images, links to audio and interviews, and book reviews
In addition, Gale Literature Resource Center is cross-searchable with other literature resources like Gale Literature Criticism, the most extensive compilation of literary commentary available, with centuries of literary analysis.
Gale Literature Resource Center provides an unprecedented, seamless research experience that helps students, academics, and researchers of literature find a starting point, search across a wide variety of materials and points in time, and discover new ways to analyze information for literary studies in your library or institution.
“Gale’s main literature offering delves deep into a broad range of content, containing criticism, biographies (130,000), primary sources, and multimedia. Multimedia are especially rich compared with other products, comprising websites, images, sales stats, and audio such as NPR transcripts and links to audio segments available online.”
- Library Journal
- English Literature
- World Literature
- American Literature
- Literary Criticism
- Literary Theory
- Literary Movements
Gale Literature: Contemporary Authors, Contemporary Literary Criticism, Dictionary of Literary Biography, Novels for Students, Shakespearean Criticism, Poetry Criticism
Platform Features & Tools
By grouping commonly occurring themes, this tool reveals hidden connections within search terms—helping to shape research by integrating diverse content with relevant information.
Researchers can see the frequency of search terms within sets of content to begin identifying central themes and assessing how individuals, events, and ideas interact and develop over time.
Integrated G Suite for Education and Microsoft Office 365 tools enable users to share, save, and download content—including highlights and notes. Learn More
Reviews & Testimonials
“Students will be impressed with the convenience and reliability of the material in this database. Gale Literature Resource Center, formerly known as Literature Resource Center, is a high-quality, one-stop choice for high schools and undergraduate literary research.”
“It is rare to come across such a database as the Gale Literature Resource Center. It truly does merit all of the acclaim that it has received. I recommend this database with no reservations at all. I would recommend it for any school—ranging from elementary to post-secondary—as well as any public library.”