PROGRAM FEATURES THAT DRIVE SUCCESS
Why it works:
- Online Platform—Our flexible platform makes it easy for students to access courses anytime, anywhere.
- Self-paced Classes—The mastery learning instructional method is designed for busy adults.
- Curriculum—Core academic curriculum is aligned to national standards.
- Advising—Academic coaches and certified instructors are available for multiple layers of assistance (included in the program).
- Opportunities for Growth—Students can learn new career skills.
- Focused Resources—Career guidance and resources provide real-world career skills.
CORE ACADEMIC CURRICULUM FOR A COMPREHENSIVE EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE
The curriculum is comprised of 18 credits (14 academic and 4 career-focused). Adult learners can transfer in previously earned high school credits and credits earned from GED® subject area tests that are passed at a Performance Level 2 or higher (145+).
- English 1: Grammar and Composition
- English 2: Introduction to Literature
- English 3: World Literature
- English 4: American Literature
- Social Studies 1: World History
- Social Studies 2: American History
- Social Studies 3: American Government and Economics
Online high school students can choose a major from one of the following fields and graduate with the workforce knowledge employers want:
- Certified Protection Officer
- Child Care and Education
- Commercial Driving
- Food and Hospitality
- General Career Preparation
- Home Care Professional
- Homeland Security
- Hospitality and Leisure
- Office Management
- Retail Customer Service
As part of the program, students are given tools and information to foster ongoing success in their chosen fields, including:
- Bi-weekly online seminars that focus on 21st-century skills.
- Monthly career webinars that prepare adults for workplace realities and changing job markets.
- Career portfolio lessons that teach business writing and help create career documents like a cover letter and resume.
PART OF THE WORLD’S FIRST ACCREDITED PRIVATE ONLINE SCHOOL DISTRICT
Career Online High School is accredited by the AdvancED Accreditation Commission, the national commission that confers the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI), North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI), and the Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC) accreditation seals. This means that the Smart Horizons Career Online Education district and all of its schools are accredited and Smart Horizons Career Online Education is recognized across the nation as a quality school system, delivering an AdvancED/SACS/NCA/NWAC accredited online high school diploma.
AdvancED provides nationally recognized accreditation for school districts and individual schools. It represents 34,000 public and private schools and districts across the United States and in 70 countries worldwide, educating 20 million students. Learn more about the District Accreditation Process at www.advanc-ed.org.
Why is accreditation important?
Accreditation is designed to help educational institutions raise their ongoing performance efforts for the benefit of students:
- Credit Recovery—Easily transfer high school credits from one accredited school to another Earn a diploma from an institution that is nationally recognized as part of a quality school system.
- Official Diploma—Earn a diploma from an institution that is nationally recognized as part of a quality school system.
- Access to Education—Gain greater access to federal loans, scholarships, post-secondary education, and some military programs which require that applicants attended an accredited institution.
- Commitment to Excellence—Receive the benefit of the institution or educational system's commitment to raising student performance and accountability.
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE: WHAT TO EXPECT
This high school completion program experience is designed to create an environment of academic, career, and technical support that will increase engagement and show the benefits of your library’s investment.
Successful Career Online High School candidates will:
- Learn about the program through your library’s student recruitment efforts, including your customized website.
- Complete an online assessment to determine if they meet the first level of requirements for the program.
- Register and successfully complete Part 1 of the program, the career-focused 2-week prerequisite course.
- Request a scholarship for enrollment into Part 2, the full program.
- Receive a scholarship award from your library based on your customized student qualifying process.
- Complete coursework for Part 2.
- Graduate with an accredited high school diploma, a career certificate, and job-search tools and documents.
GALE OFFERS TRAINING, RECRUITMENT, AND MARKETING SUPPORT
Training and Program Implementation
Our program liaison will partner with your library as you engage and enroll participants in the prerequisite courses and award scholarships into the full program. Gale provides:
- Program implementation assistance and training for all designated library staff.
- Dedicated account management throughout the partnership.
- Access to a Career Online High School library community to share best practices and gain support from other libraries offering the program.
- Ongoing reports to help you monitor success.
Recruitment and Marketing Support
Gale offers a comprehensive marketing and student recruitment package to help your library achieve success with Career Online High School. Our program liaison and marketing staff will work closely with your library to customize a variety of student recruitment tools, which may include some of the items below, or additional resources as needed.
- Customized student recruitment website
- Print promotions
- Community outreach
- Public relations
- Market research
- Facebook group and best practices guide
- Graduate success stories
- Digital marketing collateral