Religion: Super Religion is part of the Macmillan Interdisciplinary Handbooks series dedicated to the study of religion. Composed of twenty-five thematic chapters, this volume reexamines the supernatural in the study of religion for the next generation of students and scholars. Toward this same end, Super Religion takes a robust interdisciplinary approach to a wide variety of religious traditions to engage with new thinking about such classical and contemporary topics as spirits, possession, vision, deification, the miraculous, magical powers, and the paranormal. Fields as diverse as modern medicine, philosophy, psychoanalysis, cognitive science, cultural anthropology, folklore studies, postcolonial criticism, popular culture studies, and New Testament criticism come into play. The volume also includes bibliographies, filmographies, images, a glossary, and a comprehensive index, all of which aid the reader in exploring the fantastic terrain of this ancient and yet ever new mode of human experience and inquiry.
Feature & Benefits
- The interdisciplinary nature of these handbooks provides an innovative approach to introducing the field to novices.
- Film, literature, art, and other lenses are used to help the reader understand concepts and ideas in the study of religion.
- The handbooks combine the features of an introductory textbook with features of a reference resource to effectively engage and educate the user.
- Introduces the reader to the supernatural in the study of religion.
- Peer-reviewed chapters are written by eminent scholars in the field.
- Includes a glossary, bibliographies, and summaries for each chapter.
- 28 images.