Each volume of Short Stories for Students contains easily accessible and content-rich discussions of the literary and historical background of 14 works from various cultures and time periods. Each story covered in this new resource was specially chosen by an advisory panel of teachers and librarians -- experts who have helped us define the information needs of students and ensure the age-appropriateness of this reference's content.
This volume presents vital information on a dozen of the most-studied short stories at the high school and early-college levels. Short Stories for Students contains concise synopses of the story's plot, characters and themes, along with a brief author biography, a discussion of the story's cultural and historical significance, and excerpted criticism geared specifically toward the high school student. Researchers will also find information on media adaptations of the story, discussion questions, and suggestions on what to read next. Cumulative indexes enable students to access entries via author, title, nationality, and theme.
See Table of Contents for the works included in this volume. Please note that the entire For Students series is available in ebook format.
Feature & Benefits
- Student friendly: Homework help format, with criticism at high school students' interest and reading levels.
- Reader friendly: For patrons interested in more information on the classics or bestsellers they're reading.
- Curriculum Connection: Supports standards on study of literature by genre or in historical context and provides read-a-likes for common core activities.
- Assignment based: For Students designed to match real English projects and the format facilitates compare and contrast, inquiry based activities.
- Title lists correlate well with textbooks, anthologies.