Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures And Daily Life, 3rd Edition, covers cultural groups in Asia and Oceania, Europe, the Americas, and Africa. Five volumes, organized for quick reference by continent, cover history, politics, customs, religion, education, human rights issues, rites of passage, and much more for culture groups such as Kurds, Amish, Germans and more than 530 others.
Each two- to six-page entry is written and reviewed by subject experts who have in-depth knowledge of a particular world culture and the skill to translate their knowledge in terms that students can understand. The Encyclopedia also gives students a visual learning experience with more than 500 color photographs and 500 maps showing where each culture group lives. And, a glossary of terms offers quick reference for difficult or foreign terms.
Feature & Benefits
- Rubrics allow users to compare countries using common key information points.
- WECDL meets the need for global material that increases spatial thinking skills, a focus of the Partnership for 21st Century Skills.
- Global awareness and competence is sought out by today's employers.
- WECDL supports this outcome for introductory university and community college programs, particularly Global Studies courses.
- Accompanying maps and full color images provide students opportunities to increase visual literacy, the essential ability to comprehend and evaluate images.
- Each volume is organized for quick reference by continent (Africa, the Americas, Asia and Oceania, and Europe) and entries cover history, politics, customs, religion, education, human rights issues, rites of passage, and much more for 530 diverse cultural groups.
- Each entry gives an in-depth look at a particular world culture but is presented in a way that is accessible to students.
- Related entries and resource lists give readers suggestions for further research and organizations listed provide further opportunities to delve deeper.
- Includes a country index and glossary.
All 530+ entries in the third edition have been updated, for a thorough and comprehensive revision.