Originally published in 1973 by McGraw Hill,Encyclopedia of World Biography(EWB) was entirely revised and updated in 1998 with the appearance of the 17-volume second edition set-the first complete revision in 25 years. Mother Theresa. Princess Diana. Tom Clancy. Johnnie Cochran. Betty Shabazz. These are just a few of the people covered in the almost 8,000 entries on notables from every part of the world and from every time period, representing a 40 percent increase from the first edition. Each supplement volume adds 160-175 new individuals not covered in the 17-volume EWB and existing supplements. Like other volumes in theEWB series, Supplement 38represents a unique, comprehensive source for biographical information on those people who, for their contributions to human culture and society, have reputations that stand the test of time.
Feature & Benefits
- Entries are arranged alphabetically.
- Bold-faced, descriptive opening paragraph with birth/death years, a capsule identification, and a statement of the person's significance.
- An essay of approximately 2,000 words in length that offers a substantial treatment of the person's life.
- Bibliographic section arranged by source type.
- Portraits or depictions that accompany many of the articles.
- A useful index for quick reference that covers not only entrants but related persons, places, battles, treaties, works of art, ideas, philosophies, styles, movements, and more.