Each volume of Contemporary Black Biography contains at least 55 full-length biographies written in an easy-to-follow prose style, ranging from 2 to 4 pages each. Arranged alphabetically, entries are divided by subheads for quick scanning. Sections cover:
- Portrait (as available)
- Date and place of birth
- Educational background
- Career data
- Awards received
- Detailed prose essay
- Complete source citations
Contemporary Black Biography is not limited to coverage of only notable black Americans, nor is it restricted by a manufactured definition of "contemporary." Its multinational coverage spans this century and includes rising personalities as well as groundbreakers and newsmakers in a variety of fields.
Contemporary Black Biography includes four cumulative indexes:
- Nationality: While concentrating on U.S. figures, this title also covers important personalities from other countries. Find them listed by nationality here.
- Occupation: Editors focus on biographies not typically found in other sources an eclectic blend of well-known and well-respected educators, physicians, politicians, activists, writers, clergy, military leaders, attorneys, as well as members of the more glamorous occupations such as athletes, fashion models and actors
- Subjects: Events, places and organizations are cross-referenced to each entry. Use this index to identify key black individuals associated with such topics as the NAACP, the Montgomery Bus Boycott, Motown Records, Medicine, the Olympics and hundreds of others
- Name: As the only series devoted exclusively to black biography, Contemporary Black Biography\'s name index is the first place to look when you need information on contemporary black figures