Aimed primarily at high school students as well as the interested lay reader, this volume is part of the In Context series. In a collection of 236 entries, Biotechnology: In Context explores fundamental molecular processes and applications ranging across medicine, agriculture, and industry. Entries also provide scientifically grounded insights into the history and context surrounding political and policy controversies related to biotechnology, with entries on pertinent court cases and legislation. Cross curricular in nature, the set supports both basic and advanced AP curricula in chemistry and biology, as well as Earth science, general physical science, environmental science, health science, history, government, and the social sciences. Primary sources and photos articulate the interrelation of biotechnology to science and society.
Feature & Benefits
- The 236 articles are written by subject experts, teachers, and expert writers in the fields of physics, molecular biology, genetics, microbiology, biotechnology, law, and philosophy.
- Presents complex scientific concepts clearly and simply.
- With its cross-curricular focus, Biotechnology: In Context supports basic and advanced AP curricula in chemistry and biology, as well as earth science, environment and social sciences, history, government, and other core subjects.
- The two-volume set is aligned to state and national science standards, particularly those related to biology and chemistry, natural and human-induced hazards, and global interdependence.
- Primary source documents are combined with expert-written overviews to add context to content and provide researchers with a fuller picture of the chosen subject.
- All entries include sidebars, photos, and illustrations that highlight people, organizations, or events pertinent to the topic.
- All entries provide bibliographies of print and electronic resources either cited in the entry and/or for further research.
- A timeline of events provides a chronological history of some of the most important developments in the topics covered.
- Also inlcuded is a comprehensive subject index, covering topics, personal names, and other relevant terms to aid the user in navigating the set.