This eight-volume set covers all major areas of science, engineering, technology, mathematics and the medical and health sciences, while providing a comprehensive overview of current scientific knowledge and technology. Consisting of alphabetically arranged entries, it provides a user-friendly format that makes the broad scope of information easy to access and decipher. Entries typically describe scientific concepts, provide overviews of scientific subjects and define terms. Longer entries conclude with a bibliography. The 5th edition has been completely updated and includes more than 75 new entries on key scientific topics in the news, including: DNA databanks, Crime Scene Investigations, Internet Search Engines, Podcasts, Weapons of Mass Destruction, Wireless Communications and much more.
Features & Benefits
- This 5th edition has been fully updated and includes more than 100 new entries on key scientific topics in the news bringing the total number of entries to 2,600.
- Entries typically describe scientific concepts, provide overviews of scientific subjects, and define terms.
- Each entry concludes with a bibliography.
- Break-out boxes highlight key terms important to understanding the topic as a whole.
- "Association Copies" Appendix lists books by significant people who have owned them.
- Includes more than 1,000 color illustrations, tables, and photos.
- Contains a comprehensive two-level index.
Alphabetically arranged entries and full color photos provide a user-friendly format that makes the broad scope of information easy to access and decipher.