This new volume in Lucent's Mythology and Culture Worldwide series looks at the mythology of the Norse culture, and explains how the beliefs, values, and experiences of that culture are represented in its treasured stories. Tales covered include creation stories, and myths of the gods, frost giants, and heroes. This volume has a map of Scandinavia, a genealogy grid with some of the major gods and prominent characters such as Loki and his offspring, a table of key characters with name pronunciations and brief descriptions, a glossary, sidebars, fact boxes, a bibliography of sources for further study, and a subject index.
Features & Benefits
- Each volume focuses on one cultural or national mythology. Major myths, characters, gods and goddesses, and themes of the mythology are presented with a particular emphasis on tying these stories back to important aspects of the culture that produced it.
- Descriptions include, as appropriate, geography, history, natural resources, technological state, social organization, religious beliefs, and values.
- These books also detail how the culture interacted with their gods and goddesses, and how the myths were communicated.
- Each volume contains numerous sidebars and fact boxes, a family tree or diagram that shows relationships of major entities, a pronunciation guide, a glossary, an annotated bibliography and comprehensive index.
- Using a pro-con format, content is presented in an appealing layout and is organized chronologically by issue.