This title focuses on songwriting from a craft standpoint. Because the lyrics themselves are only one part of songwriting, the author also covers melody, tempo, rhythm, etc., and explains how this can differ between genres too (rap, heavy metal, R&B, and so on). A few key influential singer/songwriters are also discussed along with the general craft.
Feature & Benefits
- This series has been updated to make music of all genres even more accessible, popular and culturally relevant in the 21st century.
- The set focuses on the history, music, musicians, and instruments behind specific musical styles -- from blues to indie rock to rap and more.
- It also addresses music videos, the advent of digital music stores and new portable digital delivery systems.
- Each title provides a historical overview of the development of a specific music genre
- explores the roots and influences of the genre and the key components that are definitive of the style
- discusses the pioneers of the music
- and considers the changes the genre has undergone from its inception to its present status on the world scene.
- Informative sidebars, a glossary of music terms, a selective discography, an annotated bibliography, and a subject index provide readers with additional tools for discussion and research.